Who is Eligible
Rest Haven provides funds to support the physical, developmental and mental health care needs of children, ages 0 through 17, who meet all of the following criteria:
- Child resides in San Diego or Imperial counties
- Child has health related need not covered by any other funding source
- Family has an identified financial need
- Public & private resources have been exhausted and “no one else can help”
- Funding Request is for one time or short term assistance.
Types of needs that have been funded through Rest Haven include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Emergency Basic Needs (food, clothes, shoes, etc.)
- Car Seats, Beds, Cribs, Mattresses, etc.
- Dental Treatment
- Medication or Medical Services
- Medical and Non-Medical Equipment
- Therapies (Speech, OT, PT, Mental Health, etc.)
- Adaptive Equipment
- Funeral Assistance
- Camping Scholarships
- Emergency Family Services that Impact Child’s Health such as:
- transportation to medical appointments
- housing assistance to prevent homelessness
- utilities needed for medical equipment
How to Request Funds
Any service provider working with a child who meets the eligibility criteria may refer a child for funding assistance by completing and submitting the Individual Referral Form. Types of service providers who may refer include social workers, health care providers, school nurses, counselors, case managers, therapists, dentists, doctors, etc. If you are a parent, and your child has a health related need and meets the eligibility requirements, contact a service provider working with your child and ask them to consider making a referral to Rest Haven.
Because Rest Haven is "child driven" all referrals must be made on behalf of a specific child, not on behalf of a family. If there is more than one child in a family that you are requesting specific assistance for, please send one referral form for each child and be sure to attach any supporting documentation (i.e. treatment plan, medical support letter, funding source denial letter, etc.) that will help in the determination for funding.
If applicable, attach vendor quote, description of item and item# showing cost (including tax and shipping if applicable) and any other pertinent information helpful in determining eligibility.
**All requests should be for funding future services or supplies, not reimbursements for past expenditures.
What to Expect
Once a referral is received, you will be contacted by email or phone to gather more information or to notify you of the approval or denial of the request. If the request is approved, payment will be made directly to the vendor, agency, therapist, store, etc. Only on rare occasions will payment be made directly to a parent. The referring service provider will receive a copy of the letter from Rest Haven indicating that payment has been made.